3 Fellas and a Lady3 Fellas and a Lady3 Fellas and a Lady3 Fellas and a Lady3 Fellas and a Lady

Monday, June 7, 2010

Show Me the Money!!!

We need a budget.  No ifs, ands, or buts about it.  We need a budget!

I've suggested budgeting to Hubby a few times over the years.  He views a budget as a restriction.  It seems as though he thinks that if it's in writing it's a legally binding contract.  I view a budget as a plan of action.  It's used to tell our money where to go.  Unfortunately, I lack follow through.  I've made plans to track spending and I'll quit after a week.  I make plans to save receipts.  The receipts pile up and I lack the organization and commitment to review and categorize them.

Try, try, try again.  I'm trying again to track our spending.  I'm saving receipts for the month of June to get a better idea of where our money goes.  This will shine a big light on waste.  I'm already certain that we eat out too much.  We also need to do a better job of meal planning and grocery shopping.

In addition to just managing our finances better, we also need to make sure we're doing what's appropriate for our futures.  Retirement and saving for college educations is important to me.  I don't want to work until I'm 90.  I also know what it's like to have student loans hanging over my head.

I borrowed a copy of Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey.  I've listened to one CD in the car.  Hopefully, tomorrow I'll be able to listen to CD #2 tomorrow.  I also borrowed the book Financial Peace also by Dave Ramsey.  It's a start.  I'll keep you updated with my progress.

0 comments:

Post a Comment