Friday, June 4, 2010

Aaron's Birth Story

I arrived at the hospital at 7am for a scheduled induction.  I was started on pitocin which was gradually increased to cause stronger contractions.  The doctor came in at 9:00 to break my water.  It hurt!  Actually breaking my water didn't hurt but he tried to stretch the cervix and that hurt!

I chose stadol to cope with the contractions after a few hours.  I used two of the breathing techniques that Marie taught us.  The second round of stadol was not as effective as the first.  The first round really took the edge off and I could be lazy with the breathing techniques.  The second round, however, I really had to concentrate on the breathing.  The breathing technique that I used the most was a good tool to use to concentrate but my throat became so sore that I didn't want to breath.  At one point I told Mark that I was having too many contractions and he laughed.  I said don't laugh and he said that I couldn't tell him stuff like that.

Not long after the second dose of stadol, maybe and hour, I chose to get an epidural.  I think I was about 4 centimeters dilated.  The anesthesiologist questioned me about my medical history.  I mentioned that I had been on baby aspirin for a clotting disorder.  She wanted to know what type so I told her a mutation of MTHFR.  She didn't know what that was and I couldn't explain it.  I was given the epidural anyway. 

After the epidural, I got sick.  I threw up enough to fill and emesis basin and a drink pitcher.  It was gross!  I didn't have anything to eat either, just ice hips and water.  I just laid in bed and watched TV and looked at the Electronic Fetal Monitor (EFM).  The EFM that was in my room wasn't working correctly.  Aaron's heart rate was reading in the 60's (not good) so the nurses kept moving the bands.  Then they inserted an intrauterine monitor.  Three different nurses tried to insert a fetal monitor into Aaron's scalp!   So when we was born he had three poke holes in his scalp.

I continued to labor but my cervix wouldn't dilate past 5cm.  I was given antibiotics since my water had been broken for more than 12 hours.  One of the nurses told me that the doctor had been called and would be coming in to do a c-section.  I didn't want a c-section but what are you gonna do?!  I was prepped and then wheeled to the OR.  While I was being taken to the OR , Mark went to get changed into his scrubs.  I was soooo tired  I was dozing off during the pre-op stuff.  While I was in the OR  I kept telling myself to stay awake so I wouldn't miss anything.  I didn't realize that the surgery had even been started.

I asked the anesthesiologist where my husband was and Mark came in a short time later.  I felt a lot of pressure.  Mark said that I said, "Whoa that's a lot of pressure!"  I don't remember that at all.  Then we heard a little cry.  Aaron was shown over the screen and was a cute little mess.  He was taken over to the bassinet to be cleaned.  Mark didn't want to cut the umbilical cord!

Aaron was brought over to me and I got to "hold" him on my chest.  I remember thinking, "Your cute! Where are your eyebrows?"  Then he was taken to the nursery.

Once I was back in my room Aaron was brought to me and placed skin-to-skin on my chest to warm him because his temperature was low.  I was sooo tired!  Aaron got warm and I was able to get some rest.  Even thought it was very late I was encouraged to breastfeed.  I was exhausted.  Probably the most tired I have ever been!  Eventually, the nurses took Aaron to the nursery and we were able to sleep.

Aaron weighed 6 pounds and 3 ounces.  He was 19.25 inches long.

1 comment:

  1. That's so cute! I can't wait to have a story of my own!